I hadn't had a non-maternity-related time off of work in something like two years. We went to California for a week, and MAN was that nice. I was stressed about traveling with a 10-month-old, but she was a champion.
September 18, 2015. First time with her toes in the sand! Those swimming lessons paid off, in that she wasn't scared.
We spent some quality time with Jon's entire nuclear family enjoying cottages on the the most beautiful United States beach I have seen (Del Mar Resort within Camp Pendleton) in San Diego, then drove to Ventura (Jon's hometown) and met up with relatives and friends, and visited the resting place of our baby.
Ro had a lot of firsts:
- First time on an airplane (a few very brief rough spots, but she did really well and took a 1.5-hour nap)
- First time eating In N Out Burger (only fast food she is allowed saved for the rare Portillo's treat)
- First time in a long car ride (took us FIVE hours to get from San Diego to Ventura, but we had to make a 45-min pit stop due to a meltdown. Ro glares at us at the mention of "carseat" now.)
- First time seeing the ocean
- First time frolicking in the ocean (assisted) with her cousin, D
- First time (helping Mommy) roast a marshmallow over a campfire for a s'more
- First time sitting in the sand with Aunt M and tasting it (the gross flavor and texture did not deter her from trying it again)
- First time climbing three (!) flights of steps at her Aunt A's house completely unassisted (and with great vigor)
- First time meeting her great-grandmother
- First time staying in the "Penguin Palace" room her Aunt Madelyn made at her grandparents' house
- First time eating sushi (she LOVED baked salmon and the seared tuna; the teriyaki chicken and rice were just ok)
- First time going to the church her daddy grew up attending
- First time eating guavas from the tree in someone's yard
- First time petting animals (a bunny and a cat), and learning to say "cat"
- First time going down a park slide (perhaps the daycare lady has taken her--but to me it was a first)
- First time actually waving with purpose (favorite person to wave at is her grandma).
- First baseball game at Dodger Stadium (next will be Wrigley)
- First hilltop sunset overlooking the ocean (and remembering her sister)
There were probably more, but she had a blast. It was a really great trip we will cherish forever.
The Dodgers lost, but it was still a fun time. September 21, 2015. Ro: almost 11 months