1. He keeps a beard because I like it, even though it's sometimes itchy for him.
2. He's one of the most loyal people I know—how many Angelenos (is that the proper term for people from Los Angeles?) continue to root for the Rams?
3. He's funny AND pretty.
4. He keeps the most random things within reach at all times (hello, Rubik's Cube tipsheet in his wallet?), but they do come in handy.
5. His favorite color is orange—not because of Halloween as most people suspect, but because of The General Lee from The Dukes of Hazzard.
6. He moved to Chicago, 2000 miles away from his home, family and friends.
7. He loves driving and he loves his car, and he's given up both to be with me.
8. He always listens to both sides of the story carefully before making judgments.
9. He's the best explainer I've ever met. I wish he could make a career out of explaining, because then he could make millions and retire at age 45.
10. He's rescued more stray kittens than I can remember names of, even though he's allergic.
11. He has a great sense of direction.
12. He puts in the effort to try and pronounce things correctly, no matter how tricky it is.
13. He has color-change eyes (which is a novelty to me).
14. He never threatens to throw the alarm clock at me, even if I've hit snooze 14 times.
15. He's become adventurous with new foods and will try most anything at least once.
16. He's makes a killer homemade pizza.
17. He's a quick study, especially when it comes to gadgets.
18. He won't take my side if I'm wrong, but he won't be a jerk about it.
19. He will hold onto nearly anything if someone gave it to him.
20. He's amazingly calm in disastrous situations—just as long as they don't involve one of his favorite sports teams.
21. He doesn't lose stuff.
22. He hates to have his shoes or socks off, but compromised on my shoes-in-the-house thing and has a pair of slippers at both the condo and my parents' house.
23. He can say nearly anything with a straight face.
24. He's come up with new and interesting things to talk about every single day for more than three years, and I don't see that slowing down anytime soon.
25. He never, ever fights dirty. Even when the other party resorts to it.
26. He's one of those people who actually absorbs what he reads.
27. He has really soft hair.
28. He loves this restaurant as much as I do, and doesn't mind driving an hour out of the way to take me to it.
29. He says he doesn't dance, but I think I caught him—once.
30. He's pals with my mom.
31. He doesn't mind washing dishes.
I'm sure I'm forgetting the biggies, but you get the idea.
Happy birthday, darling.