Monday, October 06, 2008

three for three

Last night H and I had the fortune of meeting a certain upstate-New York blogger, his lovely wife and their two beautiful children.

The family squeezed in a meeting with the Chicago contingent of our little blogging community during their whirlwind trip to the Midwest, and though they warned us of some impending too-much-time-in-the-car, nap-deprived, two-hours-past-bedtime meltdown, no such thing occurred. Within the first thirty seconds, we were chatting as though we'd known each other for years—which, if you think about it, we actually have. After three years of reading his posts, we knew a lot about Omar as well as a bit about their son and daughter, but The Wife has always sort of been a mystery. (She's even cooler than we had hoped.) But the highlight of the evening for me was when The Boy told his mom he'd like a hug from me, and was too shy to ask. I was delighted to oblige.

On the way home, H remarked that I'm pretty lucky when it comes to meeting blog friends: Both Jon and Jazz were great to hang out with in real life, and I try to see them whenever I can. Hopefully we can get more face time with Omar and family, but he's vowed not to attempt a second road trip out this way for another ten years. I can't say I blame him, so H and I will have to make our way into their neck of the woods sometime very soon.

9 comments:

naechstehaltestelle said...

Come to Switzerland!!!! I'd love to meet you.

Becky said...

**smoldering with jealousy**

i hope you all had a great time.

Noelle said...

I'll have to check them out! It's always nice to meet a fellow New Yorker.

Anonymous said...

How cool!!! I'm an Omar Blog fan! :)

Mike said...

Yay! I love when cool bloggers get to meet :)

Syar said...

I've my fingers crossed for meeting Jazz next year, if her Aussie trip is realized. So cool that you got to hang with Omar and The Fam! And one day maybe I'll be meeting you and H, all RL style. :)

Lia said...

Sounds like a fun time! Good for you!

omar said...

While there wasn't exactly a melt-down, you did leave out the part where he was goofing around underneath the table.

It was wonderful to meet you guys!

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

And all this time I thought you and Omar were 'real' pals from school!

I always imagine what it would be like to meet a blogger...then I [very briefly] met one of my favourites from Trinidad. I read his blog but we never 'chatted' online. He was sweet, gentlemanly, polite.