Wednesday, May 02, 2007

or maybe i'll just wait for her boutique

I went shopping with pp last weekend. As I have said before, I like nice clothes but for the most part, I hate shopping. Especially for myself. But if other people need help picking out stuff? I'm your girl.

This particular trip was one of my worst scenarios: I neededed something versatile to wear for a big client meeting (which will require my getting on a plane) with very little time to find it-- and as always--I was at a loss. Now pp is a marketing manager for a Big Time retailer and works with buyers. She's always ahead of the trends, what with planning the Holiday catalogue in April, knowing what seersucker is, and throwing around phrases like "aHm-peer waists" and "this fall is all about animal prints and movement."

The woman is knowledgeable, and she don't waste no kinda time. Back in college, I wouldn't be satisfied with a trip to the mall unless I had systematically touched every hanger in every store, a habit that elicited threats of bodily harm from pp. She goes in knowing what she wants, targets it, takes a sweeping glance at the rest of the offerings and exits. She's like an assassin. A trained killer who can quickly calculate markdowns.

While I ambled around the mall aimlessly, she asked what I'm looking for and what I'm working with. I said Professional-but-not-trying-too-hard, and Grey-striped-with-some-weird-color pants or Brown ladyshoes. Three hours later*, I got in my car with a lovely black pinstripe pencil skirt ("It's classic, you'll be able to wear it for years"? Music to my ears.) and a crisp white short-sleeved blouse that is enough of a wraparound to be interesting and enough of a buttonup not to be peek-a-boo. (Don't worry, I'm wearing a tank top anyway.) She said I could wear the red mules I already have and even suggested a game plan for the jewelry.

Not only was this accomplished in record time, but everything fits well and I did not break the bank. And somehow during our mission, pp managed to try on fifty pairs of jeans and purchase a cute pair of tailored capris, to boot. As we walked to the parking lot, I decided I'm going to have to make some serious Scrooge McDuck cash so she can quit the biz and pick out my clothes for a living instead. A good friend who can spot your favorites, hide your flaws and be fun to hang out with all the time? That's what I call a personal shopper.


*Of course, the day we were shopping was incrediby warm, so I purchase warm-weather clothes. And now the forecast says it's going to be about 20 degrees cooler in Detroit, so I'm going to have to improvise. Wish me luck!

13 comments:

jazz said...

1.) good luck!!!

2.) i really want to go shopping with pp now! i consider myself pretty good at it but i want her help too...

Bill C said...

Good luck with the Detroit trip. As for climate - won't you be inside buildings for most of the tricky parts? If so things should be manageable for you.

Lia said...

I've been wanting a personal shopper for years now. I need a friend like pp.

Anonymous said...

3 hours at the mall? Record time?

You must be a world-class shopper...

Syar said...

Gawd, everyone needs a pp. I fool myself into thinking I know what I want, but I never do.

Your outfit sounds awesome. Hopefully it won't be too cold. Let us know about your Detroit adventures. :-)

Alla said...

shutup you have no flaws ewww!!!!!!
:)

the outfit sounds excellent!!!!! LOVE the red shoe accent! love!

cadiz12 said...

i just put it on and managed to spill water from the iron all over the white shirt. so now i'm nice and toasty after having hot blowdryer air on me for ten minutes. i'm actually up early enough to have breakfast at the hotel. that's a first.

thanks, pp!

Jon said...

When you're making that Scrooge McDuck money, will you be needing any kind of a gadget consultant? I could make myself available... for the right price of course.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got something chic! Good luck.

I despise clothes shopping, so I'm always glad to hear of successes in this area.

omar said...

I got in my car with a lovely black pinstripe pencil skirt

a crisp white short-sleeved blouse that is enough of a wraparound to be interesting

I could wear the red mules I already have

I'm not sure what any of that means. But good luck at your meeting!

jiji said...

oh wow your friend needs her own shopping blog!

cadiz12 said...

i caught a glimpse of myself in the bathroom mirror and (as usual) didn't recognize me at first. but i did recognize that i looked GOOD. knowing you look okay makes the rest a lot easier. thanks, pp!

Anonymous said...

That top sounds cute- I need something like that! And I need your friend! Lord and Taylor has a personal shopping service I was thinking about trying - after reading your blog, I think it might actually be really helpful! I love shopping in theory, but always seem to end up bitter and exhausted when I go for myself - I guess all I need is someone else to do the work for me! :)