Tuesday, May 08, 2007

just keep sending me flowers 'just because'

"Hey, so there was this discussion at work-- can I ask you a question?"

"Sure thing, what's up?"

"If you were driving and needed gas, when you pulled up to the station would you expect me to automatically get out of the car and pump it for you?"

"Of course not. Why?"

"I know my girl! These two women were hassling a guy for not pumping gas for his fiancee."

"Well, actually... if it were in a scary neighborhood, I'd expect you to at least offer, which I would refuse, of course. Unless it was a really bad area."

"Okay, I can see that."

"However, if the situation were completely different: Let's say I was carrying something heavy, and you were not carrying anything at all but you didn't think to help out? Then I would have to put whatever it was down and kick your ass."

"I've never done that, have I?"

"No, but I thought you should be aware. You know, just in case."



Irises. Delivered to my doorstep before that conversation and for no apparent occasion.
Nevertheless much appreciated.

11 comments:

Syar said...

Totally what I'd do. Or throw the heavy thing at the person involved.

Just to get the message across.

Lovely flowers.Puh-reety.

Alla said...

preeeeeeeetyyyy!!!!!

so van gogh-ish.... (my radar has been adjusted to connect everything to the dutch)

Bill C said...

Those look gorgeous. And I like your thinking on the carrying of heavy objects; makes perfect sense to me.
:)

Beenzzz said...

What gorgeous flowers! I liked that conversation, by the way! :)

Lia said...

For-no-reason flowers can only be a good thing.

Very level-headed and fair opinions on the pumping gas/carrying heavy stuff front, I think. There shouldn't be givens, but it's always right to offer to help.

Jon said...

I think it depends a lot on the people involved. Some people like to be pampered, and some like to do the pampering. Then there are others that are a lot happier on equal footing. As long as it's a healthy balance, I don't see the problem. I think that balance is determined by the couple though, not what everyone watching the couple thinks it should be... does that make sense?

Sphincter said...

I think it is important to make your hypothetical expectations clear.

Nice flowers!

The Bunt said...

Nice Flowers very pretty.. but I must play devils advocate if you can do this on this topic. However what is the point in giving anyone flowers when they last maybe 2-3 weeks dont you want to give someone something that can be with them forever?? anyone got my back?

cadiz12 said...

thanks guys, irises are my favorites.

jon, are you trying to tell me that H and i are putting on a show? if so, i think i'd better step up my hair and makeup.

bunt, i see where you're coming from and i made that mistake once. i told nice ex on our first date that getting flowers was really lame because all they do is sit around and then die. but later, i really regretted it. sure, they're temporary, but because they are, they don't have a chance to become part of the furniture or something you forget about like things you have forever.

omar said...

I got your back, bunt.

This pumping gas situation would never be an issue in my household, because if we're both in the car, I'm expected to be the one driving.

ML said...

Beautiful flowers! Good post!