Thursday, February 13, 2014

day off

I have a general rule not to talk about work on here, but I will share this: I've hit a cracking point.

Two straight years of too many demands, too few resources and little concern for our time from the people making the demands. A ten-hour day is a short one, and the system went live last April. There are other teams in our organization where people can eat their lunches in the break room for an hour and leave at 5 p.m., but that is not the case for our group. I have been trying not to log on during weekends any more. My boss is lobbying for new hires and bargaining with them to attempt to push dates back. But yesterday, after people started paging/calling coworkers to get me to respond while my phone was off the hook, I had enough.

I needed a day to recharge. So for the first time in my life, I am taking a mental health day, all for me. To start it off, I woke up at 3:17 a.m. and could not fall back asleep. So, for another first time in my life, I got out of bed and went to the gym.

No kidding, you guys, there are SO MANY PEOPLE at the gym at five a.m! It's like there is a whole different world in the morning, that I had never seen before. There was even a rousing game of pickup basketball at that hour!

I had a great yoga class and feel so much better on four hours' sleep than I usually do on six or seven. And by the time class was over, my sleep inertia (that confused, groggy feeling when you first wake up, which lingers extra long for me) is gone. Perhaps this is going to have to become a habit.

So on this day for me I am going to:
  • Write a bunch of posts (backdated for accuracy)[didn't happen that day]
  • Research icemelt for the roof--the ice dams on our roof deserve their own post(s)[sold out EVERYWHERE! Jon had to get it way out in the boonies.]
  • Go to the bank
  • Get my eyebrows done
  • Watch my telenovela, which--SPOILER ALERT--has been hitting close to home with a very sad pre-term labor/baby death.
  • Knit the second sock for my Godmother's mom that I have been working on since the fall [worked on it, realized I forgot a crucial step and opened everything I had done up again.]
  • Probably fall asleep early. Who am I kidding, I do have to go back to work tomorrow and work on Saturday. [still went to bed late and did not go to work early the next day. But I did get there early on Saturday!]

1 comment:

M @ LiveLikeYoureTraveling.com said...

Good for you for taking the day off to re-fuel!!! Sounds like you got a LOT out of it!