1. Go to Wikipedia and enter your birthday without the year: August 14
2. List three events that occurred that day:
- 1908 - First beauty contest held in Folkestone, England.
- 1936 - Rainey Bethea is hanged in Owensboro, Kentucky in the last public execution in the United States.
- 2004 - Sales tax holiday in Massachusetts. All sales taxes are suspended on purchases of $2500 or less.
3. List two important birthdays:
- 1945 - Steve Martin, American comedian and cousin of my math teacher
- 1959 - Magic Johnson, American basketball player and all-around nice guy (so I've heard)
4. List one death:
- 1951 -William Randolph Hearst, American newspaper magnate (b. 1863) and a guy who built one hell of a castle.
5. List one holiday or observance:
- Pakistan - Independence Day (From the Indian Empire and from the British colonialist and imperialists under the foreign control of the United Kingdom, 1947) It's too bad people are still fighting today.
Ok, I know it's not really part of the rules, but I have to say that the list of people born on August 14 seems to follow a pattern. They're mostly entertainers. I'm talking actors, musicians, athletes. Even back in the day it was painters and novelists. If you don't believe me, take a gander at the list. And several other athletes and actors didn't even make Wikipedia, such as Halle Berry and oldschool Chicago Bear Vestee Jackson. (even though I'm pretty sure only my brother knows that one). Hey, maybe if the traditional job doesn't work out for me, I should get together some kind of show and hit the road. At least then I'd be staying true to the legacy of my birthday.
Even though I hate putting pressure on anyone, I'm a stickler for playing by the rules. So I tag Ale, Beenzzz and Jazz (however, if being tagged makes you not want to do it, jas, then consider yourself un-tagged.)