76) my partner will be able to tutor math, enjoy doing dishes and will be good at directions and foot massage. he will also value thoughtfulness and talent and will not be fazed by excessive speeds or lane changes on the highway. when his arms are around me, i will forget my problems.Little did I know that my life partner was reading that list, and even posted a comment.
But roughly five months after that post, I was picking him up at Midway Airport--aggressively passing and changing lanes, which didn't even make him flinch--and falling in love with him at the top of the Sears Tower. Three years after that post, he gave up balmy Southern California for hot-and-cold Chicago to be with me. Four years after that post, he gave me his great-great grandmother's ring from Germany and asked me to be his wife. And one year ago, today, he held my hands under a gazebo in front of God and everybody and promised to do the dishes for the rest of his life.
If only I had been able to sneak that bit into his vows.
We have to take turns washing the dishes, but it's a small concession given all the stuff that is wonderful about the guy:
- He doesn't hold it against me if I fall asleep in the middle of a conversation.
- He patiently explains the use of any and all gadgetry, often repeating himself without being condescending. I've said it before, he should be an explainer for a living.
- In his youth he delivered pizza, which just honed his strong sense of direction.
- He's loving and thoughtful and sweet to his family. And mine.
- All the children (and cats) we know are enamored with him. I've finally come to terms with the fact that he will always be the favorite.
- He is the most open-minded person I know, and because of him I've realized that not everything is black and white.
- When I drag him to the fabric store, he doesn't roll his eyes.
- His faithfulness to athletic teams is unmatched. If he would be half as devoted to me, I'd be a happy woman for life.
- He fixes his own car, and the plumbing, and the remote control.
- The man is an excellent baker. This is good because my idea of measuring ingredients is to shake a little into the pan until it looks right. He uses a kitchen scale.
- He loves television as much as I do. And cheese.
Photo by SecondPrint Productions
Let's always be this happy.