Wednesday, August 15, 2007

you get what you put out there

I had such a lovely birthday. I woke up and went through the day showered with love from family, friends and coworkers and got so many warm wishes from you guys, too. And I got badass stuff in the mail! Oh, how I love getting nonbills/nonjunk in the mail! Especially with exotic postmarks like The Netherlands and California and The City of Chicago! H sent me way too much stuff, including one item he put together himself that probably took a very long time, which I adore. During the day my colleagues took me to Hop Haus, and though I was tempted to try kangaroo or ostrich meat, I went for the excellent beef Bistro cheeseburger and was not disappointed. After work, my godmother brought over the most impressive jasmine tree (yeah, it's that sturdy-looking) with fist-sized fragrant blooms, and my mom got me an ice cream cake just like she has every year since I was three. Yum!

However, all day I had this nagging feeling of guilt ab0ut yesterday's post. I was convinced that unveiling myself as a terrible horrible person to the world like that surely would garner some sort of karmic retribution. But those words came out my fingers to live forever on the Internet, and there's nothing I can do about it now.

Sure enough, it came. Swiftly, semi-unexpectedly and deadly-ly. We got back from that great lunch and had a meeting with the mother office to learn that our entire office is getting laid off, two months (and one day) since I started. Happy Birthday from The Man!

You know how us pessimists like to say they always think negatively because then even if things don't turn out well they can take comfort in knowing they were right? Yeah, I worried that something bad would happen, but I didn't reeeeeeally think it would. Contrary to popular belief, the validation was not all that comforting.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! That's terrible news. Nobody should have to update her resume on her birthday. :(

Here's hoping that the job search is quick and painless. And that you're getting a wildly generous severance package.

Lia said...

Oh, ouch! Just when you were getting used to the sun and a normal sleep schedule. How dare they!

Bill C said...

On the plus side, you'll get even better at hunting and finding new work. On the minus side, that's a skill you'd likely prefer to leave undeveloped.
;-)

Jon said...

I feel you. I just got laid off yesterday. If you have any helpful hints for the unemployed, they would be welcome :)

Librarian Girl said...

Shit! That sucks.

Does it help that you have a couple months notice, or does that just drag it out?

omar said...

That's horrible, I'm sorry to hear it. The Man gave you a really crappy birthday gift.

(Mmm, ice cream cake...)

Syar said...

Boo to the man! Yay for ice cream cake! Boo for being laid off! Yay for the jasmine tree! Boo to the man! Yay for a lovely birthday.

Oh I'm so confused.

Boo to anyone that ever does anything bad to Cadiz! Yay to everyone that does good to Cadiz!

Think that should cover it?

I'm sorry to hear about your job. I know the last job search was intense to say the least. But you have the groundwork, ready, at least, no? Um...concentrate on that ice cream cake first. Let the hard things come later.

Beenzzz said...

Oh MAN! Sorry about the lay offs. What a bittersweet birthday. You know (and you might want kick my ass for saying this)when one door closes another one opens....

The Stormin Mormon said...

WOW...

That's all I've got...

Wow...

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

It's back to job-hunting just when you thought...! Geez, that's hard.

I hope you find something even better, keep sending those resumes. And think positive. Thinking postive at least makes you feel better, trust me on this one.

naechstehaltestelle said...

NOOOO! Sorry that happened to you! I'm sure you'll find something really soon.