Friday, November 03, 2017

there is no time like the last minute

Here's a list of books I've read since being on light-duty/bedrest and maternity leave, in reverse order:
I'm a bit ashamed to write out this list in a room that has a bookshelf holding at least 10 titles I'd like to read. Which is across the hall from a room that houses a nightstand stacked with another five books I'd like to read first.

Because I'm so stubborn, I refuse to start anything until I've finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks--which is so well written/reported and interesting. But I've been trying to read it since 2015 and keep having to re-start because my kid thinks it's funny to remove my bookmarks and throw them in the hamper. How long can you go without reading a book before they take away your bibliophile card? 

I read somewhere that the amount of FaceBook content people read would equate to about 200 books a year. Because I don't really sleep and I can hold my phone and a baby at the same time without waking my husband, I would guess my number of equivalent books is probably close to 500. Apparently multiple people have reported that they come to my page to find out what's going on because they like my amalgam of posts. That's curious, because I don't really post about myself or my family and don't post photos of my kids. I only repost things I find interesting and news from reputable sources. I'm probably using the same muscle I toned with this blog for a decade. 

Writing this out made me sad. Perhaps, starting Monday, I need to institute a break from tv during the day. I have 10 weekdays left on maternity. The least I can do is find out what the heck happened with HeLa.

No comments: