Wednesday, March 29, 2006

on a mission for a homing device

the untimely demise of my cellular phone last friday was sad. very upsetting.

especially when i was to be in on helping coordinate a party for three people the next day, none of the other coordinators of which i had actually spoken to about the technicalities of when and where. so i had to do it [gasp] the old-fashioned way. you know, like be places i said i was going to be WHEN i said i was going to be there. it was strange not to call and check up on things or whine about how it took three tries to find an ice-cream cake store that hadn't been boarded up or a tmobile store that hadn't been shuttered. what's going on people? don't you love cold fattening treats and roving communication devices anymore? (and why are all the icecream places and cellphone showrooms always in the same strip malls?)

regardless, i showed up with the praline cream/white cake with shaky red-gel writing on top (the ice cream store i found was joined with a doughnut shop and the 'cake-writing lady' had the day off, so i did it myself). a good time was had by all.

with the worst over without my phone, i let it lag a bit. i looked around and checked out the phones in the store, where the guy told me that i'd likely get a better deal with tmobile representative via telephone. i let a day go by and called them up. the woman cordially told me i'd likely get a better rebate if i shopped online, because they're trying to get people to use the website. (interesting. maybe that's why two of the stores now have 'space for rent' signs in the window.) i let another day go by. i checked online. it was the same deal with the same rebate as everywhere else. at that point people i talk with regularly were getting annoyed by dealing with me on my mom's low-battery phone, my dad's blippity phone or my old dinosaur handset with the faulty speaker, let alone having to try all those numbers. at their behest, i made the decision to go ahead to the store to take the merchandise home same-day. and then i let a day go by. yeah, i still don't have a phone.

i'm starting to think that deep down inside, i just don't want to be reached.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

dont WANT to be reached!???!!!

that's it you're depressed!!!!!! take vitamins, sit in the sun for 15 minutes!! and for goodness sake GET TO A STORE and get your phone immediately!!!!!

(i did try something really strange yesterday- i turned my cellphone off just to see what it would feel like... and well it was strangely exciting for a second... than i started experiencing shortness of breath.. excessive sweating and swelling of the throat... i turned it right back on)

Katie said...

You wrote on your own cake! I'm impressed, but only because I used to work in an ice cream shop, and only once did the customer have to write on their cake, at her own request. Anyways, I hope your cell phone situation gets better soon and it doesn't turn in to a philosophical decision to become a hermit.

Jon said...

Don’t listen to any advice Omar has on this topic. Just suck it up and get a new phone. Isn’t there anyone you’d like to talk to? There has to be someone you want to be able to reach you…

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Do you know the procrastinator's creed?

I'm come back again to see if you know it.

tee hee hee...

omar said...

Crap, Jon beat me here.

Cadiz, let another day pass. Next thing you know, you're going to feel LIBERATED. Don't you want to feel liberated? Of course you do.

cadiz12 said...

i'm very tempted to go sans phone (i was the last of my crew to get one and it felt great to be unreachable) but that was back when i didn't work nights and actually interacted with human beings. nowadays, my cell has become an appendage that keeps me sane. i'm going to have to give in and get one, because yes, there are people whom i'd love to hear from. but maybe i won't advertise the fact that i have it. just yet.

cadiz12 said...

oh and g.g., isn't it something like don't put off till tomorrow what you can do two days from now?
someone told me that mark twain said something like that.

Syar said...

very recently my phone has developed the habit of turning itself off, so sometimes I go whole hours without realizing I've been unreachable all this while. I can agree that most times, in certain circumstances, it is in fact liberating.

but that won't last long. get one on your own time, and stretch out the liberation by choosing who you tell about your return to reachability. you've got the right plan.

Cathy said...

Keep resisting the temptation. It's like caffeine addiction, just takes a couple of days and a few headaches and a bit of stress to set yourself right!
I refuse to own a mobile phone - I actually think they are anti-social! and rude!But then I'm a little odd and can get on my soapbox about weird things....

Farah said...

Wow, cake. And you wrote on in too! Excellent.

I get all anxious just thinking about not being reachable. I salute your strength.

Bill C said...

Blackberry.

Blaaackberrrry.

(Blackberry)

Blaaaaackkkberrrrryyyyy...