Thursday, November 22, 2012

thanksgiving with a side of cheese

Happy Thanksgiving! We celebrated with my mom's famous spicy turkey and all kinds of other sides, and finished the meal with Jon's famous pie.

In the middle, we enjoyed a little snack on this:

 
 It's called a Raclette, a grill from Switzerland/France where you can grill up some veggies on top, and there are these little drawers that slide in underneath, in which you can melt cheese to top them with.

Apparently the word Raclette comes from the French word "to scrape," because you scrape the melted cheese off onto your plate.

A big plus is that I was able to find actual Raclette-brand cheese when I was up in Wisconsin for training. It melts like a dream; as though it was made for this kind of thing. 

 And it was delicious!

Too bad we were so stuffed from all the other delights to discover what else this bad boy could do. I'm thankful to have opportunities to try new things, enjoy the company of family and good friends and for overall health and happiness. Also, a shout out to cc, who gave us this thing more than a year ago--we love it!




6 comments:

Alla said...

this is fantastic! the first time i tried this here in the netherlands I was so excited I immediately had a business idea of importing these in the US. I was immediately disappointed that amazon already knew about these and sold them......

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

My Swiss friends prepared dinner for me with this. It was deeelightful.

I had melted cheese on toast this morning...I did it on that thing we cook roti on, haha.

cadiz12 said...

loved this thing! i feel sad it's taken us so long to bust it out of the box!

SupaCoo said...

Awesome Xmas gift idea - you rock!

Jon said...

It's melted cheese... explain to me where this is ever a bad thing? I don't know why it took us so long.

polyestherbunny said...

OMG, that Raclette thing looks so cool! Now I want to go out and purchase one right away. :o)