Friday, November 17, 2006

close your eyes and pay the price

i admit it: i am a procrastinator.

because of this, i am no stranger to the more than occasional all-night paper-writing/ project-finishing/ entire-book-reading that i liked to call "College." and you know on these endeavors i wasted even more time watching tom & jerry, arranging my socks, making the coffee *just* right and most of all (in what some have said were the very early precursors to my blog) crafting long, rambling e-mails at 3 a.m. from random computer labs to my twenty closest friends about the freaks who were up all night with me. i guess they were pretty popular, but i never really found out till people said they'd be missed after graduation. pp's boyfriend, k, was likeminded; we took turns napping on the couch instead of studying while pp, who always did her homework with time to spare, got a full night's beauty rest. every time.

but i have to say, without that "i did it!" payoff, pulling an allnighter just isn't that fun. especially when you're supposed to be on vacation.

in about 20 minutes, i will have been awake -- no naps and hardly any yawning, but three cups of tea -- for 24 straight hours. i don't know how it happened. it wasn't smart. but i did get a lot of things done. unfortunately, one thing is absolutely clear: i'm going to be HURTING for this tomorrow.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You say 'procrastinator' like it's a bad thing...
;-)

Unknown said...

VERY happy you got your stuff done!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you got all the things you needed to get done, done. Now, go to bed before your body starts to rebel! :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you getting your stuff done! Time to get some zzzzzzzzz's though.

Mike said...

You're right, all-nighters are pretty lame without the threat of failure. If you want, I can give you an assignment to finish for next time. Just be warned-- I'm a tough grader!

omar said...

Only once in my life have I stayed awake for 24 straight hours (33 hours total). My uncle got married the day after my senior prom, so I ended up staying awake the night of the prom through the next afternoon. It was fun for about 30 hours, at which point I hit a wall and felt like death.

I do not intend to do that again.

Good that you got stuff done, though!

Anonymous said...

that sucks, especially since day time sleep never make up back for sleep you miss in the nights... stayin up late has totally messed up my sleepin clock thingy that the say u have inside...

cadiz12 said...

for those of you keeping score at home, i fell asleep at 7 a.m. and didn't get out of bed until 4 p.m. despite the fact that my phone was ringing off the hook all day.

the good news is that 9 hours is enough to keep me from being an absolute, cranky bitch.

:)

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Next time, remember the procrastinator's creed: why do it today when you can put it off for tomorrow.

I was no help at all, was I?

I fight procrastination a lot too.