Saturday, November 18, 2006

testing out the waters

some of you may recall the problem with parking series i did last year. yes, parking in the city is a bitch. and though i've gotten adept at it, trolling around to find a spot is still not my favorite way to spend forty-five minutes worth of automobile fuel.

so i'm going to do something absolutely ridiculous and out of character. i'm moving to the city. okay, okay, for like a week. or so. maybe.

i'm going to be apartment-sitting in highrise downtown. this is big for me because a) i've never lived alone b) i've never lived in a city and c) i love my car, and i can't bring it with me. that last one is going to be rough if you consider the fact that i spend almost three hours in my car every weekday and sometimes on the weekends, too. the place is pretty close to my job, so i'll have an added two-to-three hours a day to myself, but my biggest fear is boredom because there's only a tiny, non-cable tv. it's going to be a cold-turkey cutoff from the dvr.

i'm not sure how long this is going to last, or if i'll even be able to cut it using mass transportation and remembering to feed myself. granted, i could just go in and check the mail/water the plants, etc and go back home to my cozy bed and chatty roommates, but i'm going to really try and give it a go.

don't fret; i'll keep you posted.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun adventure to me. And by all means, remember to feed yourself. Last thing anyone wants is another story of some city-dweller found raving like a loonie from starvation.

Okay I admit I've never seen a story like that so technically yours wouldn't be "another" one. But still.

Anonymous said...

Yes, do remember to feed yourself! Mass transportation scares me. I always end up with some creepy person sitting next to me doing weird things.....YUCK!

omar said...

My first concern was making sure you still had internet access. But I guess food is important too.

Unknown said...

oh sweetheart this aint gonna be for a week- you're just saying that to yourself for mental comforting- you is stayin' der my frien!

Mike said...

Sounds like fun :) Living alone can be tough at first, but you get used to it after a couple months. Ok, guess you won't have time to get used to it... Think of it as a vacation then, without the time off from work.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cool psychological experiment to me.

and added bonus of not having to find parking countered by the not-so-bonus of not having your car.

ooooohh....let the interesting times roll.

omar said...

Cadiz! You've only got two and a half hours to get out today's post!

highcontrast said...

when are you going to invite me over to sit on the carpet and eat take out while we try to find something to watch on network tv?

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Non cable TV? I bet you find stuff to like, I suspect you're a true TV addict.

Explore the city and tell us about all the mad people you see.

The Stormin Mormon said...

What about internet access?

As for the car... I can't tell you what I would do without mine, but it wouldn't be pretty. I've got a vacation coming up where I'm stuck with a rental and I am NOT looking forward to that part.