Monday, November 27, 2006

get with the beat, daddy

so my parents are addicted to the indian version of "dancing with the stars." my mom records it on the satellite dvr and i'll catch it when i'm around. my father especially loves the competition -- celebrity couples (it's only proper) directed by a choreogapher every week-- as he's quite the music aficionado and comes home from work every night asking if it's currently on tv. now i can't stand the incessant, repetitive commercial breaks so i refuse to watch it live, but my dad? he refuses to watch it UNLESS it's on live. this doesn't make sense for several reasons: a) the commercials are properly annoying and a waste of time, b) it's not live ANYWAY because it was broadcast the night before HALFWAY AROUND THE EARTH and c) voting is not open to anyone outside India. not that he'd be voting anyway.

maybe it's the meds, but i'm baffled. the man just doesn't appreciate the beauty of a dvr.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm totally with you on the commercial thing! It really spoils any show you watch - 2 minutes of show, 10 minutes of commercial...grrrrr!

Anonymous said...

Wanting to watch a show pseudo-live and appreciating the beauty of a dvr only *seem* to be in opposition. There's just no accounting for adult male thought processes.

Anonymous said...

i would go absolutely out of my mind. seriously. i'd have to go in the other room so as not to offend anyone with my sarcastic facial expressions.

The Stormin Mormon said...

I'm that way with actual sporting events, but not anything that I can't actually watch live.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand watching things live. Commercials are great for bathroom breaks, but that's about it.

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I like the commercial breaks, man...I get up for snacks, a glass of water, I go to the loo [too much info here!], I lock windows when it rains, I open them when it stops raining...that type of thing :-D

Maybe I have a short attention span.

Unknown said...

"Live" as in- there are other people watching it with me - yes, its broadcast from the night before in india, but it's LIVE for people in the USA are watching it at the same time- actually i kinda agree w/ you dad... i do hate the commercials but just knowing that there is some kind of "collectiveness" goin on make it more fun somehow

Anonymous said...

Live doesn't mean enough to me to put up with commercials. Probably why I'd rather watch a movie than TV. DVR is a wonderful thing.

But I won't do a crossword puzzle the next day, because the solution is already public. And Olympic events have to be watched live.

Long live inconsistency.

omar said...

I don't have a DVR. I occasionally want one, but then the former finance major in me and keeps me from spending the money.

cadiz12 said...

omar, it pays for itself with how much you learn to love it. TRUST ME.

i see what you guys are saying about the collectiveness and because it's a competition, that's probably the way he's looking at it. i also like starting things 20 minutes in and watching it sans commercials but at practically the same time. stuff that could be spoiled for you, like the amazing race.

but with dvr, you just don't forward the commercials when you want to get up and take care of business during a show. it's such a beautiful thing.

Mike said...

Seriously... When I got Tivo, I stopped watching TV live. It's weird now that I'm in a house without it... I hardly watch TV anymore.