Tuesday, November 07, 2006

you know what to do

we all know that the extremists on both sides will be out there, IN LINE, when the polls open, ready and eager to push their extreme agendas.

do we really want them picking the people who can potentially make our lives a living hell?

last march i started feeling guilty about my inconsistent voting record. i studied the candidates and the issues, got up early, stood in line and was late to work just to vote. but when i finally got to the front of the line, my name magically "could not be found" despite the older gentleman's use of some very fancy blackberry-ish voter information-locating equipment. i hustled off to fight traffic, grumbling the whole way, only to hear that three hours later my family members-- who live in the same precinct and have the same name -- got their ticket into the booth, no problem. and the lady had no trouble seeing my earlier invisible voter information right there on the list under theirs. she passed on her apologies, but i still didn't get my say because i was stuck in the dungeon.

maybe if enough people vote, they'll raise the bar for personnel quality at polling places. no offense, they're lovely folks; i just think they should be required to be able to see.

do it for the people who actually care about making a difference. but if you don't, you have no right to bitch.

12 comments:

Bill C said...

I have this nagging feeling I'm forgetting something...

Not really. I remember, but it's going to be a late-in-the-day thing for me this time.

And re: workers' ability to see, do you ever wonder if maybe the lines would move faster if... never mind. *sigh*

Beenzzz said...

I don't want the extremists from either side picking anything for me. I'm off to vote this morning! I hope it means something.

Unknown said...

cadiz it doesnt matter, politicians are nothing more then puppets that create "favorable" business atmosphere for their "friends" ((incidentally these "frinds" are also people that sponsor them and pay for their campaigning)) basically the politicians have NOTHING to do with you, your life or any other issues that concern you.

HOWEVER since we live in a democratic country the way we choose politicians is by voting- thats why we have campaign managers that study and put together the image of the politicians so we can choose them. but as you see they really have nothing to do with us. thats why so many times they never accomplish what they "promise" since it isnt really their function- they're just in office to help their "friends" get richer.

ML said...

I always hope when I vote it makes a little bit of a difference. The hope is always there...I have butterflies, though.

omar said...

I voted before work this morning. I got there about 6:45, and was only the 14th person to vote so far. Needless to say, there were no lines.

I vote to reserve my right to complain!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure the staff at the polls are volunteers. How many able-bodied, visually-non-impaired have normal working hours off to volunteer at the polls? Obviously, you're getting retirees to do it.

Did you know. . .
That some places will give you excused time off to vote? Isn't that nice? But only if the polls open and close within three hours (respectively) of the begin and end of your workday.

cadiz12 said...

well, ale, you may be right, but that's another reason why people shouldn't vote blindly. if you're up to date on the issues via reliable sources and don't pay attention ADVERTISEMENTS there's a chance, however small, that these people will underestimate the public and we can clean out the riffraff. but it'll only work if you get up and do it.

cadiz12 said...

that's probably true, lia. but volunteer or not, if it's something that important, they probably ought to be more careful who they let do it.

and that policy is pretty cool when you actually work where you live. not all of us have that luxury.

Anonymous said...

Great blog :) I'm doing NaBloPoMo too.

The polling personel here couldn't see or hear. I waited in line behind only 3 other people at 8 AM to vote.

Now there's nothing to do but wait :/

Anonymous said...

Same thing will happen this year. Guaranteed. Democracy evidently doesn't want you... how about you join the hegemonic camp?

Jon said...

I feel like I can never get the truth out of anyone about what the propositions mean or what platform a candidate is running under... why so much deception and smearing?

Anonymous said...

thats real sad to know... I feel like never buyin a GM vechicle